Newly Married? Here is a Tax Checklist for Newlyweds


  • Name & Address
  • If your name changes when married, it is important to notify the Social Security Administration. The name on a person’s tax return must match what is on file at the SSA.  If there is a discrepancy in the name, it could delay any tax return.  Taxpayers should file Form SS-5, Application for a Social Security Card, which is available on SSA.gov or by calling 800-772-1213 or a local SSA office.
  • If there is a change of address, the IRS and U.S. Postal Service need to be notified. Taxpayers should send IRS Form 8822, Change of Address, and also notify the U.S. Postal Service by going online at com or their local post office.


  • Withholding

After getting married, couples should consider changing their withholding.  Newly married couples must give their employers a new Form W-4, Employee’s Withholding Allowance, within 10 days.  If both spouses work, they may move into a higher tax bracket or be affected by the additional Medicare tax.  They can use the Tax Withholding Estimator on IRS.gov to help complete a new Form W-4.  Taxpayers should review Publication 505, Tax Withholding and Estimated Tax for more information.


  • Filing Status

Married people can choose to file their federal income taxes jointly or separately each year.  While filing jointly is usually more beneficial, it’s best to figure the tax both ways to find out which works best. Remember, if a couple is married as of Dec. 31, the law says they’re married for the whole year for tax purposes.


  • Scams

All taxpayers should be aware of and avoid tax scams. The IRS will never initiate contact using email, phone calls, social media or text messages. Generally, IRS’s first contact comes in the mail.  Taxpayers can get tax account information at IRS.gov, if you have any questions about taxes you may owe to the IRS.[/vc_column_text][us_image image=”3004″][/vc_column][/vc_row]